Eren you mean I'm mentally ill?
wtf?
Huni

Male Number of posts : 7446
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Re: I want an answer...

Post by Saint on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Huni wrote:Eren you mean I'm mentally ill?
wtf?
Noob read carefully, I'm on your side -_-'

Councillor

Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:45 pm

"Faith on the other hand is a philosophy, a way of thinking, trying to give meaning to existence."

And people do that by invoking an unobserved entity which is described as a tyrannical bipolar sycophant by his own official canon. Yeah, makes total sense to me.

I, on the other hand, like to postulate that I have my own hand in my destiny, that I can reach places if I work hard enough and strive in an intellectual fashion towards completing my goal, that I can live a fair life by pursuing my own interests yet catering to my responsibilities as well to give others the chance to pursue theirs, that I should be tolerant of people with different sex, sexuality, race, nationality, that I can enjoy life by fulfilling certain hedonistic needs without having to be guilt stricken, that wisdom, intelligence, knowledge and scientific progress are true values to look up to instead of blind faith, uneducated priests and doctrine beliefs.

But that's just the godless atheist talking. I truly deserve to suffer for eternity in the fiery pits of hell no matter how good and moral a person I can be, simply because I don't believe in Mr. Space Daddy. The Christian faith is truly wonderful.

Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Male Number of posts : 7795
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://devnucleus.110mb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Firstly, the discussion was on how two beliefs given above differ from each other, not whether God exists or not.

I don't know about suffering for eternity in the fiery pits of hell, but see.. at least in your country, you don't suffer for expressing your belief and you can freely claim my faith is blind just because you don't see a thing which I can see.

Boomlala wrote:I should be tolerant
Yes, you should be tolerant to different beliefs and thoughts.

Back to the main discussion.. If you still wonder why a shyzophreniac is locked up while I can openly express that I believe in a God, you actually have given the answer:
Boomlala wrote:science

Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:54 pm

I do NOT tolerate intolerance. And Christianity is intolerant. Extremely intolerant. Luckily, most Christians (such as you) aren't, but I'd vouch they aren't real Christians anyway (according to the Bible which is infallible). We have the Enlightenment to thank for that, and the secularist influence.

I was not discussing God's existence. I was showing how ridiculous it is to use the Christian faith to give meaning to one's existence. You can replace that with any other faith system. I dismiss the Christian faith the same way you dismiss Egyptian mythology. Why bother with God? You don't need him. You can fulfill your life just as good (I'd wager even better) without fabricated entities. And that was my point.

Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Xris² on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Boomlala wrote:I do NOT tolerate intolerance. And Christianity is intolerant. Extremely intolerant. Luckily, most Christians (such as you) aren't,

Isn't Saint a Muslim?
Xris²
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Male Number of posts : 1943
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony* on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:37 pm

pff silly goose! he's obviously Buddhist.
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Male Number of posts : 8586
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 pm

fuck me! lock this shit....I asked 'bout spirits talking to you in a dream, not for Boom to talk about stuff that I can't understand, and pushing around christians like me!!!
Huni

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Doesn't matter, I meant liberal religious people in general, who understand Western society and its need for secularism and tolerance, despite their faith telling something completely otherwise.

And I'm not pushing around Christians. All I'm asking is why people treat faith as something respectable, despite it being something irrational, and often intolerant. And if people choose to leave several things out of their faith (the intolerant things), why they bother with the faith in the first place.

Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by daryo on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:28 am

Boomlala wrote:All I'm asking is why people treat faith as something respectable, despite it being something irrational

because they are free to do so. it is their right. as it is yours to be atheist.

Councillor
Councillor

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Xris² on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:37 am

Xris²
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 am

lol Xris. XD
Huni

Back to top Go down

Post by lone on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:57 am

I'm with boom on this.

I stopped "believing" quite a long time ago. People who say "if you don't believe in God you must believe in science" have no clue what they're talking about since science is not a blind belief. It is based on observation and on what has the most chance to be correct. It is addapted if it happens to be incorrect or insufficiant of reality. It is not believed in, it is accepted as a probability of realism.
Religion however is not based on likelyhood, but on many centuries old thoughts about life, changed throughout history as a means to dominate peoples and obtain supreme power over those peoples.
Seriously, religious people should wake up in the 21st century.

Also; in contrary to common believes, a transcendant, non-scientificall being DOES contradict with our current conceptions of the universe. Hence you cannot accept scientific truths and aswell believe in "god". It doesn't only make you look like an idiot, you contradict yourself.

sorry, I needed my say in this, I love these discussions

lone
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 4300

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:25 am

Wrong.

Field of empirical evidence gives us no information about whether or not a metaphysical occurence is true. Thus it is possible to believe both what scientific findings suggest and existence of God.
To claim that empirical findings and metaphysics are mutually exclusive events is just hilariously nonsensical. Smile

Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by lone on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:34 am

If you say such things, your knowlegde of cosmogony and quantum physics is just insufficiant. You should do some reading.

lone
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:55 am

LOL! Don't worry I had quantum 5 years ago, it is not that insuficiant. Please enlighten us how subatomic particles and string theory proves a physical or non-physical God does not exist.
Although I doubt you know anything beyond Schrödinger equation, whatever you read cannot prove your argument.

Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by daryo on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:13 am

Councillor
Councillor

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Xris² on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:37 am

Damn, educated religious people, those are the worst. Still, I never really get a clear answer to this question: why do you believe in God/Allah/Jehova/etc?
Xris²
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:43 am

Xris² wrote:Damn, educated religious people, those are the worst. Still, I never really get a clear answer to this question: why do you believe in God/Allah/Jehova/etc?

This, a hundred thousand times. I will never understand the plight of the religious.

And a follow-up question: on what are your beliefs based? The respective holy book of the religion? Or do you fill it in yourself?

Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Honestly Chris, I was raised that way, and my mum said: you can name God as you like, Jah, Allah, Buddha....it's the same one, only in different teaching, and mate when I'm kinda sad, I pray and I don't feel so alone, I keep thinking that He is besides me, and He will help me out, God created us, He will tell us what will happen to us, He will take us. He sacrified His Only Son, Jesus Christ, He paid for our sins...so why not? I'm not saying that I will a fair life, I don't go to church, I do drink with friends etc, swear, but I pray every night and morning.
Huni

Back to top Go down

Post by Xris² on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Ah yes, most religious people are raised that way and don't know any better. You know, I used to sort of religious. But hey, I was young, and everytime I visited my grandparents they took me to church. But when I got older I started to ask myself things like: "If it took God six days to create the Earth, how long did it take Him to create the rest of the universe? Why would He create ONLY two humans? Does this make every human inbred? What kind of father would kill his only son?"
That's when I came to the conclusion that Christianity was utter bullshit. Soon found out that all religions were flawed and illogical (did you know there are religions out there that think the Earth was hatched from an egg?), so I just gave up on it.

Wow, I just made a serious post. Time to get some sarcasm in this bitch:

Everyone knows that the universe was created by a flood of bolognese sauce from the mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Xris²
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Nah God didn't kill Jesus, He let him die...but for the rest you're right. I do ask them myself, but tbh, I have much more things to worry about than those questions.
Huni

Back to top Go down

Post by lone on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Saint wrote:LOL! Don't worry I had quantum 5 years ago, it is not that insuficiant. Please enlighten us how subatomic particles and string theory proves a physical or non-physical God does not exist.
Although I doubt you know anything beyond Schrödinger equation, whatever you read cannot prove your argument.
As things like consomogony, quantum-mechanics and more importantly string theory study the fundamental basics of every thus far discovered reality, and as these theories can be addapted to support studies for everything else that can be discovered they do have the power to talk about everything in existence.

To put it quite simply: Science can theoretically study everything in existance. If you talk about something that cannot be studied scientifically, it means it is put out of the box labelled "existance" and therefore can not exist.
If a transcendant being exists, it means by definition of the word "science" that it is in theory scientifically explainable.

If you put everything in a box, there is nothing outside that box.

lone
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:16 pm

gay
Matthew

Male Number of posts : 3184
Registration date : 2007-12-05